Urhokpota Hall


This file appears in: Ring Road, Benin City, Nigeria
Urhokpota Hall
©Kathy Curnow

The British built the present structure in 1906, under the direction of Oswald S. Crewe-Read (shortly before his death in the Asaba region), assistant to the Native Commissioner of Southern Nigeria. It served as a native court under colonial supervision while Oba Ovoranmwen was exiled in Calabar and the throne remained empty.

Since then it has served as a public venue for royal, political, cultural, and other events. Traditional rulers have held meetings there, plays have been presented, politicians have given speeches--most notably, its exterior grounds have served as the venue for the public crowning of the Oba of Benin takes place.



This file appears in: Ring Road, Benin City, Nigeria